The Shelf is a fast-growing influencer marketing company and we’re looking to hire a master of relationship-building to join our sales team. We’re currently working with some pretty amazing brands: eos, Famous Footwear, Natori, Cybex, Pepsi, Neutrogena, Evenflo… just to name a few!
We’re looking for someone with the following qualities:
- Proven salesmanship: Sophisticated and proven sales experience, someone who is able to open new doors, able to navigate complex Client needs, able to pursue/follow up with leads. Metrics-driven with proven closing ability (hitting at least $1M in yearly quotas in the past). Challenger sales attitude is a must-have.
- Always-Be-Learning Attitude: Relentless appetite to learn, improve, and adapt, ability to implement feedback, and identify ways to improve our value proposition to better position The Shelf in solving Client needs.
- Startup Ready: Team-player, able to take on multiple projects at once and still maintain a workflow. No work is beneath you, no ego, and you’re not a clock puncher who turns to a pumpkin at 5pm (sometimes stuff happens before 9 and after 5, man!).
- It's a huge plus if you have experience in the influencer marketing space! Not a deal-breaker if you don't, but definitely brownie points if you do.
Our company has a very fast-paced environment. There’s always something new going on. Things can change FAST in this industry and in the office. So, if you're someone who is all about constant learning, you can geek out here. Lots of room for career growth because we're awesome enough (and small enough) to let you take on whatever you can handle. Ideally, we like to hire our managers from within the team, so there is a very clear path to the next level (if it’s of interest).
Compensation + Perks (in Addition to Base Salary):
- We want each of our employees to have skin in the game, so you’ll receive a meaningful number of stock options after you hit the 3-month point.
- We provide a tiered commission structure (meaning, the more money you bring in, the higher percentage of the revenue you will receive on those closed deals).
- We provide the usual benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision.
- We typically work from home 2 days a week to save on commute time. Yay!
- You’ll be working closely with the founders. Both are super cool.
- People who perform well advance quickly.
- We’re dog-friendly around these parts. (We have an office pug!! So if you like dogs, you’ll love him… if you don’t like dogs, he’ll most likely ignore you… he’s very adept at picking up on whether people want anything to do with him.)
How to Apply
We’re a pretty down-to-earth bunch, so if you’re interested in applying, in lieu of an elaborate cover letter, you can email me at Lauren@theshelf.com and include bullet points with the following info:
- A link to your Linkedin profile.
- What job site sent you our way.
- Your location.
- How much time you need before being able to join (assuming it's a good fit).
- Your phone number... and whether or not it's ok for me to just give you a call instead of going through all the back and forth to set up an intro call (first calls aren't more than 15 minutes... they're just to provide you with an intro on us as well as get understanding of your experience and what you're looking for). If it's not ok for me to just call you out of the blue, can you let me know a few times that would work for a call.
- Some brief bullet points about your influencer marketing / new business experience.
- (Applications that are submitted using a job site (instead of emailed to the above email address) will not be considered.)
- We are looking for people who function well within fast-paced environments.
- Everyone on the team needs to be data-driven and curious, as we are launching new initiatives and experiments on a regular basis.
- Like with any startup, things get stressful, so we want people who are upbeat and enjoy working as a team player.
- We always look to hire problem-solvers, so if you love working on challenging and complex problems, you’ll do well here.
- You should have a never-say-die attitude.
- You are willing to explore and implement feedback.
- You need to have an always-be-learning attitude. Our space is constantly evolving - Instagram keeps changing their features; Facebook keeps changing their advertising capabilities; new interfaces like Alexa, IGTV and Facebook Messenger can create exciting new opportunities for our Clients. You really have to stay on top of these changes in order to teach/advise through your conversations with potential clients.
- You should have the ability and eagerness to learn new software and computer skills. Within a small company, we need our team members to constantly be optimizing their workflow to work more efficiently in less time.
- You should be an active social media user yourself. We’ve seen that our employees who are active users of social media are able to come to the table with a much deeper understanding of this space with minimal training.
- We’re looking for a relationship builder… someone who knows how to open doors (and understands which doors to pursue) with excellent listening, negotiation, and presentation skills, as well as strong verbal and written communication skills.
- You should have a track record of successfully juggling multiple projects at a time, and actually thrive in that sort of environment.
- You should have a enviable track record of closing business and beating quotas in the past.
- You should understand the value in having an up-to-date CRM (rather than treating this like a drudgery that’s beneath you). We are looking for someone who knows how to stay on top of a very large volume of deals without letting things slip through the cracks.
- You should be comfortable speaking with diverse stakeholders in a variety of verticals.
- You should have past experience working in an agency and dealing with clients in that capacity (RFPs, proposals, contract negotiation, etc.)
- You should have a good understanding of the influencer marketing space. (While this isn’t a requirement, candidates who come with this background will be prioritized.)
Components Of The Role
- Participate in training to get up to speed on our current processes
- Help our account managers build out decks and run campaigns while you are ramping up
- Source new business opportunities through outbound efforts
- Engage with inbound leads, converting them to sales opportunities
- Provide legitimate advice to prospective clients based on their unique needs and goals
- Give compelling online demos and pitches to prospective clients
- Provide consistent and timely follow up communication along with action steps after every sales call
- Concisely articulate your progress at the close of each month with your manager
- Close sales and achieve quarterly quotas
- Maintain strong relationships with current clients, securing new business
- Continually learn new things and improve your approach based on regular analysis of your calls, follow-ups, and techniques